Friday, August 31, 2007

Lunar eclipses are stupid




So the other night I had one of the more amazing evenings that I can remember. Now, some of you might be thinking that I met my future wife, and we stayed up late talking and getting to know each other, and now we can barely stand to be apart. For those of you that had thoughts like this, I am sorry that we haven't communicated enough and you are able to jump to this sort of conclusion, but people that know me well might see where this entry is headed. On the night of the 28th there was a scheduled lunar eclipse, and around 9:00 that night a group of us decided to leave the main buildings and go for a walk to try to see the eclipse without all the lights of town. When we left, the moon was clouded over, but you could see through the clouds that the shadow of the earth was starting to pass across the moon's face. It didn't seem like it would be that great of a show, but we decided to wait and hope for the best. After what seemed like an eternity, the moon was eclipsed, with just a penumbra glowing around the edges; and at just about the same time, the clouds started to part. We had a crystal clear view of the moon and because it was so dark we could also start to see the Aurora Australis. At first, it was just little hazy spots of green not doing much, but it turned into a full show with serpentine-like creatures writhing across the sky and tornados of green spinning overhead. The spectacle lasted about a half hour before fizzling out. We just lay on the ground in -10 temps with almost no wind, soaking the whole thing up. I have seen the Northern Lights a few times, and this wasn't the best show I have ever seen, but needless to say, it was very impressive. I don't think I even bothered to look at the eclipse when I turned and walked home. Perfect. I also included a nice photo from the inside of the c-17. That is what the flight from New Zealand looked like.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your title. We tried to see a meteor shower the night of Aug. 12th, but after waking at 3 a.m. we couldn't see a thing. Cory told me that her sailing instructor had seen the shower in the Eastern sky. I guess we should have read some directions beforehand! We love reading about your adventures.

lizrum said...

You're stealing my sun! Give it back!

Ha. Liz here, in AK. How did I miss you so completely? That sucks. I hope that we can keep up some sort of pole to pole correspondence even though you are much more a-pole than I :)

And I will certainly expect to see you here next year. Don't disappoint me. Supertrip?

Cheers,
Liz (rrrrrumsey)